Resources for Children and Families Regarding Covid-19

We know this is a stressful time for many children and families. We’ve put together these resources to help and will continue to update them regularly. This Jefferson Community Foundation webpage also has a comprehensive list of available services that is updated regularly.

About COVID-19

Talking to kids about coronavirus

Is your kid suddenly acting younger or more stressed? This is called regression and it is a normal reaction to stressful situations (Yes! Even in adults!). This article can help you understand ways your child might regress and how to support them through this challenging time.

Supporting kids at home during the coronavirus: For more ideas about how to support yourself and your family during this time, we recommend the Aha!Parenting blog. She covers topics from homeschooling, to helping your child cope with cancelled events, to just staying sane as a family while you’re all at home together.

Jefferson County COVID-19 Updates 

Jefferson Healthcare COVID-19 Nurse Consult Line: 360-344-3094

Meals for Children Under 18

The YMCA is providing summer meals for children in Jefferson County. No identification or proof of income required. All children under 18 welcome! Find out more here. 

Basic Needs

WIC Nutrition Program has openings. Do you know someone who is pregnant or cares for a child 5 years or under? Call to enroll in WIC and receive a boost to your food budget. Call 360-385-9400.

Jefferson County Foodbank: All four food banks in Jefferson County remain open during their regular hours. Anyone in Jefferson County can access food bank services without question. Instead of clients going inside to receive food, they are asking people to stay in their cars and a food bank volunteer will bring food to each family.

Jefferson County Immigrant Rights Advocates: JCIRA is a local immigrant rights organization that is providing up to $500 grants to help with rent and everyday needs in response to COVID-19, including grants for those who may not qualify for government help. To apply, leave a message in English or Spanish at 360-232-6070.

JeffCo Mutual Aid is offering cash assistance to locals who have lost work and don’t know when they will receive a paycheck again. This is a community effort that has sprung up in response to COVID-19.

St. Vincent de Paul answers emergency requests for help from anyone in East Jefferson County. Most often we give aid for food, gas, utilities, rent, bus passes, emergency shelter, prescriptions, medical/dental expenses, repairs, insurance, clothing and laundry. Call or text 360-379-1325.

WA State Department of Financial Institutions: Find info on unemployment benefits and help in paying rent, mortgage, utilities, credit cards etc.

Mental Health Needs

Discovery Behavioral Health Services: 24/7 Crisis Line: 306-385-0321
Mental health services in Jefferson County. DBH is providing all services by phone or on-line. They are currently accepting new clients and providing crisis services. If you need to talk during office hours call 306-385-0321.

Dove House Advocacy Services: 24/7 Crisis Line: 360-385-5291
Services for victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, and general crimes. Walk-in services are closed but Dove House is still serving those who need them via phone and on-line. If you need to talk during office hours call 360-385-5292.

Safe Harbor Recovery Center: 24/7 Crisis Line: 360-301-3455
Specializes in treatment of alcoholism, opioid use and substance abuse. Safe Harbor is providing all services by phone or on-line. Currently accepting new clients on a limited basis and providing crisis services. If you need to talk during office hours call 360-385-3866.

Jefferson Healthcare Behavioral Health is currently accepting new patients. If you have a primary care physician at Jefferson Healthcare you can request these services. Call 360-385-4848.

The Benji Project is hosting free one-hour drop-in sessions two times a week on-line for teens to share stress relief, connection and coping practices.

Washington Recovery Helpline: 24/7 crisis line 866-789-1511. Help for substance abuse, problem gambling, and mental health.